February 18, 2019 3:10 pm
Dr Kasper talks with Debbie Courson about red flags or signs of a unhealthy relationship. How do you know if you are in an unhealthy relationship? Sometime the red flags can be subtle while other times they are obvious. Here is a list of red flags to look out for to help you gauge if you are in a toxic relationship or not.
- Not respecting each other’s personal boundaries/limits
- Feeling afraid or unsafe
- Feeling unworthy or undeserving of having needs or wants met
- Withholding resources from one another to maintain a sense of power and control
- Passive or aggressive communication
- Yelling, name calling, destroying property or hurting pets
- On person has most of the power over the two of you
- Possessiveness and jealousy
The spectrum of abuse is broad and depending on where you find yourself within it can vary your approach to resolve. In some situations leaving the relationship might be best were other approaches require open communication with your partner.
Talk with your Healthcare Provider
A fundamental role for healthcare providers is to assess the safety of a survivor or victim and help him or her stay out of danger. Your healthcare provider may guide you through a danger assessment to determine what kind of help you may need. See previous post for an example of a danger assessment.
The health care provider should respect the survivor’s ability to identify his or her own safety risks as well as possible strategies for mitigating those risks. Where danger to children is involved, the health care provider should follow facility and national protocols on their protection.
- Idaho 24-hour Domestic Violence Hotline 800 669-3176
- Idaho Council on Domestic Violence 208-384-0419
- Women’s & Children’s Alliance 24-hour Domestic Violence Hotline 208-343-7025
- Women’s & Children’s Alliance 24-hour Rape Crisis Hotline: 208-345-7273 (RAPE)
- Nampa Family Justice Center 208-475-5700
- Idaho Coalition Against Sexual and Domestic Violence https://idvsa.org/
- Nampa Family Justice Center http://id-nampa.civicplus.com/190/Family-Justice-Center
- Women’s & Children’s Alliance http://www.wcaboise.org/
- Futures Without Violence https://www.futureswithoutviolence.org/
Call 911 if you are in immediate danger.
- National Domestic Violence Hotline
- Rape Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN) Hotline
- Futures Without Violence (previously known as Family Violence Prevention Fund) www.futureswithoutviolence.org
- National Coalition Against Domestic Violence www.ncadv.org
- National Network to End Domestic Violence www.nnedv.org
- National Resource Center on Domestic Violence www.nrcdv.org
- Office on Violence Against Women
(U.S. Department of Justice) www.ovw.usdoj.gov